Who we are
Christian Union is an inter-denominational Christian group located at Macquarie University, Sydney.
We exist to intentionally make disciples of Jesus by his word.
We are affiliated with AFES (Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students), who seeks to proclaim Jesus Christ at university to present everyone mature in him, by building student groups that evangelise, encourage, train, and send.
What we believe
As an AFES affiliated student group, we believe in:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of humanity since the fall, rendering men and women subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth by the Virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only though the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
What we do
We run three core activities each week:
- Bible study groups (DGs, M/Th/F 11am & 1pm; Faculties, Tu/W 11am). These take the form of small or medium groups studying the Bible together in order to understand its meaning and to apply it.
- Public Bible Talks (Tu/W 1pm). These take the form of a Bible talk followed by discussion and Q&A after the hour.
- Training (CIA, Tu/W 10am). At Christian Union, we believe that training is an important component to growing as disciples and followers of Jesus. In this hour, we run different strands on how to read and understand the Bible, how to read it with others, and upskilling on telling others about Jesus.